No Record of Marriage Certification

If you thought the “single status” affidavit was enough to get married in another country, think again.

Some countries are adamant about American citizens marrying their citizens. Case in point: Colombia! We’ve assisted hundreds of clients from New York City, Westchester, Rockland and Putnam who believed that all they needed was an apostilled Birth Record and an affidavit stating that they are not currently married.

If you’ve mistakenly informed Colombian authorities that you were previously married, there’s a high likelihood they’ll request a No Record of Marriage Certification from the New York State Department of Health. If they are willing to accept an alternative, they might allow you to submit the NYC version if you can prove that you lived in one of the five boroughs at some point. This option is usually the easiest and quickest.

The New York State Albany version currently has a processing time of 10 weeks.

If you have questions regarding how to proceed with your marriage plans in Colombia, please consult with us before informing Colombian authorities about your intention to marry there.

Questions? Call us before you make the move. Call, Text or WhatsApp Apostille Expediter Harry Otto at (914)441-2444 seven days a week. We live this business.